SCVANOW General Membership Meeting
September 29 @ 4:30 pm - 7:30 pmFree
The next St. Croix Valley Alliance NOW General Meeting will be on Sunday, September 29. It is destined to be a good time … full of camaraderie and progressive ideas! Here is what you need to know:
- Time: 4:30p – 7:30p
- Location: Fields of St. Croix Community Barn, 4634 Linden Trail N, Lake Elmo
- It’s a potluck! Please bring a dish to share.
- After a 30 minute social, the general meeting will start at 5:00p sharp with details on our member survey and attainable initiatives for the coming year!
- After a brief intermission, we will be guided through a voting game exercise designed by our own SCVANOW member Sandra Wolfe Wood. If possible, please bring an electronic device (phone, tablet) with Internet to participate in the game (unfortunately, the barn does not have WiFi). Details on this game are noted below.
- This meeting is open to new members. Feel free to bring a friend that you feel would be interested in joining our cause!
Voting game details:
In an effort to demonstrate how empathy can reframe how we think about a problem, Sandra Wolfe Wood of Designing Change (www.designing-change.com) and her colleague Sieng Lee created an online game about voting barriers. They chose to focus on voting because the voting process and its inherent inequities are front and center issues. The game is designed to help people experience barriers in state legislated voting mechanics as well as opaque processes that discourage the uninitiated voter. It only takes eight minutes to play, yet the conversation that follows is typically rich and provocative. Players of the game get a glimpse of understanding where others are coming from … a spark of empathy that shows how humanity can solve a human problem!