Who Is St. Croix Valley Alliance NOW (SCVANOW)?
- local citizens working to make the St. Croix Valley an even better place to live and work
- a chapter of the National Organization for Women
- advocates for a free and just society
- ACTIVISTS FOR THE COMMON GOOD
WE BELIEVE IN:
- equal rights for all and ending all forms of discrimination
- ensuring free and fair elections
- comprehensive and affordable healthcare for all
- civic engagement and making progress toward our goals through local grassroots action
- protecting our river valley, the state’s natural resources, and the environment
- good public schools for all children
OUR PURPOSE IS TO:
- educate our community about issues that affect us
- nurture and train leaders for this generation and the next
- create and mobilize a community of activists
- advance the social good in our community through advocacy and collaboration with other groups who share our values
OUR LEADERSHIP TEAM:
President: Debra Hoffman
Administrative Vice President:
Anne Sundberg Siess
Secretary: Gladys Ritter
After the 2016 election, a dozen local women gathered together in a friend’s living room to brainstorm about how they could add progressive voices to the political dialogue. Calling themselves the St. Croix Valley Women’s Alliance, the group adopted guidelines from Indivisible, a grassroots organization launched to fight injustice using tactics learned from the Tea Party movement.
Soon, teams dedicated to issues such as healthcare, education, human rights, political action and the environment were mobilized. Those energetic individuals organized community activities for public education, debate, and protest. They lobbied for legislation at the state and local level, and worked side by side with social welfare nonprofits to advance various progressive causes.
Our group has continued to evolve. In 2018, we became a chapter of NOW (National Organization for Women) and changed our name to the St. Croix Valley Alliance NOW. We have established ourselves as a nonprofit 501(c)(4) social welfare organization. This essential organizational effort has provided the legal framework and structure on which to build an exciting future of activism and advocacy for the social good in our St. Croix Valley community.
LEARN MORE ABOUT SCVANOW
Our website: www.scvanow.org
Our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scvwa/
On Twitter: @scvanow
For more information about joining our organization: firstname.lastname@example.org
For conversations about community partnerships: email@example.com
Join us: https://tinyurl.com/SCVANOW-Join